Sunday, May 13, 2007

How to Increase Blog Traffic

I've been searching around the web with Google on tips and tricks of how to increase Blog traffic for quite sometimes. The reason is, not only it's nice to see the site meter grows higher day by day, but statistically there'll be a greater chance to make new friends and improve revenue as well.

Different people have different objectives when it comes to blogging, and that's perfectly fine. I believe, however, that the majority of bloggers understand the importance of possessing the knowledge of how to increase blog traffic more effectively.

I found some excellent posts from a few great blogs. Some were really good and others could cause me serious troubles. Whilst I can not claim that I have been successful in increasing blog traffic, still I want to share some of the tips that I use.

  1. Visits fellow bloggers, leave comments and shout.
    Comments only or shout only is not enough. It's better to use them both to get highest impact. Comments are more valuable, and will trigger return visits from the blog owners and its visitors and also more long lasting.

    Writing good comments, however, it's not always easy. Sometimes it took me a long time just to make one.

    Comments shall at least be 200 characters, for Google crawlers to recognize it as quality comments.

    When leaving comments at blogger, I do not use Your Blogger display name, but use "Other" and type my name and blog address instead. This way, people will visit directly to my blog, instead of reading my profile.

  2. Update often, twice a week or more.
    This is the real challenge of how I can write good posts, frequently, consistently. Things that people like to read. I may fail once in a while, but that's fine. I just need to enjoy the pressure and move forward.
    Sometimes I read The Jakarta Post, and other sources, to get ideas for my posts. Sometimes I started with my photos collection.

  3. Offer Link exchange and install Shout Box.
    Besides comments that I left in various blogs, link exchange also helps me to increase my Technorati ranks, and to improve my position in the search engine.
    ShoutBox enable people to leave short comments, that will enable me to return the visit, and probably ask for a link exchange. I use Shoutmix, others prefer Oggix.

  4. Join BlogExplosion and others.
    BlogExplosion has contributed to number of visitors to my blog per day, until now.
    However, visitors tend to stay only 30 seconds and then move on to another blog to earn credit. I joined also BlogLinker, BlogMad, BlogSoldiers, Community Kompas, CopyBlogger, FreeViral, RankingBlogs

    I got information about Community Kompas from a fellow blogger Nila, and the rest were from Google search.

  5. SEO: Search Engine Optimization.
    One of the tips is to make sure that when I open my blog, it should start from the post section, not the side bar, regardless where I position it. This will ensure that Google will capture keywords in the post sections first, rather than those in side bar.

    Write posts related with hot issues or keywords, such as recent celebrity gossip, current events or sex, will certainly help to improve traffic, but I would not recommend it if it's for the sake of traffic only.

For reference, here are links that you may want to check:
BlogHerald, Copyblogger, Problogger: SEO, Problogger: The Advice of a 12 Year Old, Scoreboard, SEOBlackhat, Seth Godin, Seomoz

43 comments:

  1. Nice tips :)

    Btw, I don't like to put many icons or banners in my weblog. Text links only without icon/banner will increase your page rank much better.

    It also will ease your visitor to sneak into the blog. Keep the bandwith fair, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... having high rating in terms of visitors is favourable experience... Describeless... You just can feel deep in your heart. What do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried almost most of that (except for regular posting), and no significant =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. tip nya bagus juga di coba, walaupun agak2 berat, ok deh, thanks ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tuker link, kadang orgnya mau di link tp dia gak ngelink balik, gak komen balik, gak SB....kalo dah gini, linknya mo tak hapus ajah drpd bikin panjang list...heeheehhe..biarin aja deh gak ngetop jg...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am going to try the bloglinker... will get back to you if my traffic has increased. thanks for the link...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips u have there. I also have been reading other bloggers tips&tricks... still it's so hard to put my blog in Google Search list.
    1,2,3: done that. Didn't do much help, although when i made a post about American Idol, it did appear in GS. But just that.
    4&5: might give it a try. 4 is absolutely in my next to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice, heh. And that's what i did, linked to you : ))

    Nice site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sering berkunjung ke blognya orang. Ntar kan dikunjungi balik :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips.got lots of info about how to increase the blog traffic but i am still dont know how to use technorati to increase traffic

    ReplyDelete
  11. tried all the tricks .... can't seem to get the traffic count off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Write posts related with hot issues or keywords, such as sex"

    Bener banget, klik paling banyak di blog-ku dateng dari posting yang ada kata 'seks'nya.. mereka dapet dari searching di search engine :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Hedi: abolutely agree. sorry to all for late reply :D

    @Mohammad Bakhriansyah: at the beginning it's quite motivating, then it's no longer that fun over time :)

    @rievees: yeah right, it's not that easy to increase traffic, and even harder to maintain it.

    @awi: banyak2 teman kali membantu ya nduk :)

    @endangwithnadina: iya jeng, kadang gedheg juga. sing sabarr...

    @Agus Sanjaya: i think i have stopped using it long time ago. it didn't help.

    @Putti: need to read more on SEO nduk. higher page rank will certainly help, repeat the main keyword in the post is also important.

    @pktan: i guess the link is no longer there :)

    @Agam: sayang hukum resiprokal kadang gak berlaku. setidaknya quality comment penting juga.

    @Kalusoru: technorati is an indicator of number of blogs that have active back links to us, measured in the last three months, one of the important factors in Google page rank.

    @High Fiver: there's no easy way. at the end is probably how relevant a blog is to its readers. it's like building a brand...

    @Diah: kalau dilihat dari jumlah orang yg OL di satu site pada satu waktu, rasanya susah ngalahin site yg nawarin pemuas syahwat itu :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:05 AM

    Good tips,

    I have a new blog and portal, still trying to increase hits.

    Telmo
    www.globalpuertorico.com
    http://globalpuertorico.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Anonymous: good luck, but there's no easy way...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inspiring and encouraging inputs..
    http://mydreamvillage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep learning bung and looking around to see what's good. There's always a better way in doing anything

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having a good traffic to your blog is really an important thing to do. No matter how good your blog is without any readers to share it with, nobody would even know your blog. I found it really hard to maintain the traffic to my earlier blogs Maybe this is because I didn't visit other blogs frequently. That is why I visit your blog and hoping that you would be my loyal reader. I am just kidding, nice tips though I will surely check it out. Please visit my new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Agus Sanjaya: as with other things in life, there's no easy way in building up traffic. it needs consistent and continuous efforts, things that are easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First I want to say THANK YOU for commenting on my blog. I'm glad you like my photography!:-)

    Do you make link exchanges also with photo blogs? I would be interested... because I like your blog. I can learn a lot here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sue, with pleasure. I have added your daily photo blog at the Englis section. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'll try the firs tips "Visits fellow bloggers, leave comments and shout."

    ReplyDelete
  23. @puput: there's more than one formula for success nduk, other than hard work...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey i love this blog it is very interesting and not only that it is inforative about the traffic blocks and someone like me a new user it is very helpfull

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    Would you like to own your own advertisement network,
    which will grow every day, where you can publish
    your own ads, affiliations, links etc... for Free?

    I have set up this system :

    -->> http://www.01viral.com

    Can you review it and tell me what you liked or perhaps disliked?

    Sylvain,

    ReplyDelete
  26. did u ever try http://www.trafficprogrammer.com/ ?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great info. Although it is just as important to know what not to do to get penalized by google. I have a free copy of SEO Made Easy available with an entire chapter dedicated to that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Their are also a number of niche directories and search engines which can come in handy for bring up an individuals traffic and page rank. For linux users their is the Linux Search Engine which can come in handy for driving in traffic. Linux Search . Of course their are many others. Link Exchange can be helpful to a small extent however if you over do it this may result in a penalty one way back links seem to be considered more valuable of course the rules seem to change each day. I seen a listing one site that recommends to have no more than 80 percent reciprocal links.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to have huge traffic to receive real online visitors. I want to interact with them to share things that i know about Tap dancing. This tips will absolutely help me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a question. Can we install analytics in wordpress blog? If so can you please show me how to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your blog is like an encyclopedia for those who want to know more about this. Thanks for the interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad to have visited your blog and good to know you! I find it interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very nice information. Thanks for this.
    http://www.seotrafficspider.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tipsnya sangat bermanfaat dan membuthkan kedisiplinan dalam mempraktekkan tip2 diatas tersebut..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I just begin a new blog, at first I think that traffic isn't that important, but I realize if no one visit and read my blog why should I even waste my time creating a blog? ^_^
    I guess I should be more patient to do step by step of increasing my blog traffic. Wish me luck dear! ^_* GBU.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    http://www.seotrafficspider.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. To increase website traffic you might wanna check this site: http://www.getguaranteedvisitors.com/

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  38. hi … is it safe if I use a tool to increase my blog traffic ? … I can increase my page impressions on all the pages on my blog with this tool!
    Magic TraFFic Bot
    for you who want to try use this tool, just download the tool at this link :
    http://sharecash.org/download.php?file=222300

    ReplyDelete
  39. I haven't heard Blogexplosion yet, Is it the same with Entrecard?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really helpful article to me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. BlogExplosion is the one of best tool.
    I totally agree with the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks!! Very useful tip! I would take note on this! :)

    ReplyDelete