Saturday, April 12, 2008

TAP PageRank Slashed

I woke up quite early this morning, and instead of going back to sleep, I decided to open my notebook computer, checked email, released comment from Manler, and opened blogger to continue working on an article that I wanted to post this morning.

I had no problem to log in into blogger and could open the article that I wanted to edit. When I hit the link to open TAP (The Aroengbinang Project), however, it failed (back to normal at 7.40 am). I opened Google, typed "proxy" and hit the search button, select and click Proxy.org, and typed my blog URL. It worked, only to find out that the PageRank was slashed from 5 to 3.

PageRank is one of the main factors to determine a blog or website position in the search engine results. The higher the PageRank, and the more relevant the site with the keyword(s) used, the higher the site's position will be in the search engine results. It means that the site has a better chance to be clicked by the searcher. In other words, it brings more traffic to the sites.

As usual, I rely on Google to get some assistance. After a few failed attempts with different key words, I finally typed "how to ask Google reconsider PageRank", click the search button, and landed at Lisa's blog.

Here are things that I did with the hope to get my PageRank back, based on Lisa's recommendations. Whether it works or not, it depends entirely on Google's considerations, and I shall respect it:
  1. Remove Text Link Ad feed widget and the referral link, knowing that Google doesn't like it and also to be fair to Google, since I removed AdSense a few months back already. Anyway, earning money is not my primary reason to do blogging.

  2. Remove few sites in my link-exchange list that might be connected with paid-link exchange that against Google's TOS; if your site was removed but it has no connection at all with paid-link exchange, do let me know and I will restore it.

After cleaning up things, the following steps are needed to send request to Google to get reconsideration:
  1. Visit Google Webmaster Tools here, log in with Google account

  2. Click verify button, select "Add a meta tag" at "Choose verification method...", then copy the meta tag.

  3. Go to blogger dashboard, click Layout, click Edit HTML, back-up your template first, then find </head> and paste the meta tag just before </head> tag, click "Save Template".

  4. Go back to Google Webmaster Tools page, and click "Verify" button.

  5. Still at Google Webmaster Tools page, click dashboard at the upper left

  6. At the lower right, click "Request reconsideration" link, and under "Requesting reconsideration of:" choose your blog, put a check mark below "Reconsideration statement", and follow Lisa's suggestions: "State your case. Don't get emotional or tell them sob story... Just state facts"
After hitting the "Request consideration" button, what we can do is probably just wait, hoping that Google will finally listen. In the mean time just continue doing blogging, as if nothing has happened...

10 comments:

  1. Hmm I, on the other hand, have no idea how to increase Google PageRank. Mine has been 3 forever... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't know you could do the re-inclusion request through webmaster central.

    But for page rank, I wouldn't bother about it too much, it's vastly over-rated in terms of how well your site ranks, and besides, Google doesn't show us the *real* page rank for each page, so you may actually still be a 5.XXX, but they dropped it to 3 on the public side because you were selling links. If it dropped to 0, then I would worry, but, have your rankings and traffic dropped off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loh mas, itu udah balik lagi ke PR 5, lho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Finally Woken: as far as I know jeng, exchange link will help and it will also increase Technorati rank. Some people say that regular posting, twice in a week, and article related to Google will also affect PageRank.

    @patung: for the request through Google Webmaster Tools, I just knew through Googling as well; that's the positive side of the PR drop :)

    I guess you're right about the PR. Even though I didn't sell or buy links, but there's possibility that some links in my blog were parts of those syndication, and hence some people suggest to be careful in accepting link exchange.

    As for number of visitors, Shynistat shows that the last 28 days the number of visitors have increased 15.8%, but PR drop will certainly affect number of visitors from search engines.

    @nadia febina: he...he.... tiwas uwis seneng nduk..., jebule masih PR3 :D. Wis terima nasib wae....
    Blogging goes on...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @_@
    I had a similar problem like this once.. but thank God i joined the blogupdateonline system. So, i just had to reverse the date, and voila my page rank goes back as before...

    But all the comments in that day are gone... (*sobs) heh! i can live without them, although... hiks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Trisna: how did you do that nduk, but I choose the comments rather than the PageRank ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you should worry to much about your page rank as I noticed that your blog still has a lot of visitors. Page rank will be important for those who are targeting visitors to their blog and make money from it. So keep on blogging brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ghozan: thanks bung, I guess you are right in a way that indicators shouldn't distract us from the original intention of why we are all here, i.e. blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes.. i'd choose the comments than page rank too if i knew it'll erase the comments.. but it's all too late. it's ok though, i get lots of new comments :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guys, would you agree with me that the best way for us to be able to increase one's page rank is by applying some SEO methods?

    ReplyDelete